高三完形填空试题Everybody loves to hate invasive species
时间:2016-12-30 09:07 作者:admin 来源:本站整理
Everybody loves to hate invasive species. The international list of invasive species—defined as those that were introduced by humans to new places, and then __41__ — runs to over 4,000. In Australia and New Zealand hot war is fought against introduced creatures like cane toads (蔗蟾蜍) and rats.
Some things that are uncontroversial (无争议的) are nonetheless foolish. With a few important exceptions, campaigns to __42__ invasive species are merely a waste of money and effort — for reasons that are partly practical and partly philosophical.
Start with the practical arguments. Most invasive species are neither terribly successful nor very__43__. Britons think themselves surrounded by foreign plants. __44__, Britain’s invasive plants are not widespread, not spreading especially quickly, and often less of a(n) __45__ than vigorous native plants. The arrival of new species almost always __46__ biological diversity (多样性) in a region; in many cases, a flood of newcomers drives no native species to extinction. One reason is that invaders tend to colonise __47__ habitats like polluted lakes and post-industrial wasteland, where little else lives. They are nature’s opportunists.
The philosophical reason for starting war on the invaders is also __48__. Elimination campaigns tend to be __49__ by the belief that it is possible to restore balance to nature — to return woods and lakes to the state before human __50__. That is misguided. Nature is an everlasting mess, with species constantly emerging, withdrawing and hybridizing (杂交). Humans have only quickened these processes. Going back to ancient habitats is becoming __51__ in any case, because of man-made climate change. Taking on the invaders is a(n) __52__ gesture, not a means to an achievable end.
A reasonable attitude to invaders need not imply passivity. A few foreign species are truly __53__ and should be fought: the Nile perch – a fish, has helped drive many species of fish to extinction in Lake Victoria. It makes sense to __54__ pathogens (病菌), especially those that destroy whole native tree species, and to stop known agricultural pests from gaining a foothold. Fencing off wildlife reserves to create open-air ecological museums is fine, too. And it is a good idea for European gardeners to destroy Japanese plants, just as they give no apace to native harmful grasses like bindweed and ground elder. You can garden in a garden. You cannot garden __55__. That is universally accepted.
41. A. multiplied B. shrunk C. disappearedD. harvested
42. A. conserveB. eliminate C. investigateD. prioritize
43. A. healthy B. intentional C. harmful D. profitable
44. A. As a resultB. For example C. By contrastD. In fact
45. A. attractionB. dominance C. annoyanceD. substitute
46. A. increasesB. destroys C. reveals D. targets
47. A. oppressedB. disturbed C. cultivatedD. preserved
48. A. acceptable B. needless C. mistaken D. convincing
49. A. fuel(l)edB. organized C. interruptedD. greeted
50. A. civilizationB. interference C. interactionD. maintenance
51. A. tolerableB. impossible C. beneficial D. critical
52. A. reluctantB. disorderly C. invalid D. unbalanced
53. A. damagingB. flexible C. doubtfulD. outstanding
54. A. pick upB. take in C. keep outD. turn down
55. A. agricultureB. vegetation C. atmosphereD. nature
- 高三完形填空试题Two years ago Dubuque Iowa
- 高三完形填空试题We read a story about a wo
- 高三完形填空Don’t you have any toys you w
- 成都市2017届高三一诊完形填空When you are l
- 高三完形填空解析The snow is gone and green
- 高三完形填空试题When I heard the trainer's
- 高三完形填空试题Animal Rights Every consci
- 高三完形填空试题YOU’RE too small Ginny yo
- 高一完形填空解析I will never forget a girl
- 高三完形填空试题I have been paralyzed 瘫痪