高三阅读表达John D Rockefeller was born in 1839 on
时间:2017-01-07 09:00 作者:admin 来源:本站整理
John D. Rockefeller was born in 1839 on a farm near Richford, New York, a small town in the western part of the state. He worked hard both in school and outside school and he also showed the skill and ability to produce new things, especially works of art.
Rockefeller began to look for work when he finished high school at the age of sixteen. Since the age of five, he had worked at odd jobs, such as raising turkeys or working in potato fields. Now he looked for better opportunities.
At first, Rockefeller worked in an office, where he was successful and where he learned a great deal about business. But he wanted to go into business for himself. So he and a friend formed a partner¬ship to buy and sell grain, hay, and other farm products.
The business was successful, but Rockefel¬ler decided to go into the new oil industry. He formed his own company so that he could make free use of his skill and imagination in business.
The company Rockefeller started became the Standard Oil Company. It took the oil from wells and refined it, that is, changed it into products such as kerosene (煤油) and grease (油脂).
Rockefeller’s business grew until it was worth millions of dollars. Almost everyone who bought oil products had to buy them from the Standard Oil Company. Finally, the government and the courts ordered the Standard Oil Company to be divided up to give other oil companies a chance.
John D. Rockefeller earned a great fortune and he gave away much money. By the time of his death, Rockefeller had created a special fund of money to be used to improve health and education and another fund to improve “the well-being of mankind throughout the world.” During his life¬time, Rockefeller had gained almost one billion dollars; he gave away about half of it. But Rockefeller's personal life was fairly frugal.
71. What kind of boys was Rockefeller when he was young? (No more than 7 words)
72. Why did Rockefel¬ler decide to go into the new oil industry? (No more than 10 words)
73. What policy did the government and the courts give to the Standard Oil Company? (No more than 15 words)
74. What is the meaning of the underlined part in the last Paragraph? (No more than 5 words)
75. How does Rockefeller’s story inspire you to deal with money when you become rich? Put it in your own words. (No more than 20 words)
Some possible answers：
71. He was diligent and creative. / He was hard-working and creative. / A diligent and creative boy. / Both diligent and creative.
72. He wanted to use his skill and imagination in business. / To make free use of his business skill and imagination. / He could make free use of his skill and imagination. / He wanted to use his business skill and imagination freely. / He could adopt freely his skill and imagination in business.
73. The Company should be divided up to give other oil companies a chance. / They ordered the Company to be divided up to give other oil companies a chance. / The Standard Oil Company should give other oil companies a chance for development. / The Company should give other oil companies a chance to sell their oil products.
74. His life was fairly simple. / He lived a simple life. / He led an economical life.
75. Rockefeller’s story inspires me to give away half of my money to the health and education of mankind. / If I become rich, I will give away most of my money to the education of the poor. / If I earn a good fortune, I will give away half of my fortune to the poor people. / If I have much money, I will use it to improve “the well-being of mankind throughout the world”. / If I am rich, I will use half my money to improve the education of the poor throughout the world. / If I have much money, I will found a fund to improve the health and education of the poor children. / If I earned a great fortune, I will give away it all to those who need money upon my death. / By the time of my death, I will have created a special fund to improve health and education of mankind. / Before my death, I will have created a special fund of money to be used to improve health and education. / Before my death, I will have created a special fund to improve the well-being of mankind throughout the world.
原题来自：天津市部分区2016-2017学年第一学期期末考高三英语试卷及答案http://www.2abc8.com/new/65333/TAG标签： 高三 阅读表达
- 高三阅读理解试题I was born on the 17th of
- 高三阅读理解试题To my Charlie on his weddi
- 高三阅读理解试题The Nobel Prize Winners in
- 高三阅读理解试题My daughter went to see Th
- 高三英语七选五试题Chopsticks When chopstic
- 高三阅读理解试题What does it say about the
- 六级阅读真题答案Countries Rush for Upper H
- 高三阅读理解试题Did English football final
- 高三阅读理解Wouldn’t it be wonderful to t
- 高三阅读理解Lucy whose skeleton(骨骼）was